You can't actually have requests that take 1 minute; they're limited
to 30 seconds. The billing is for CPU time used, not wall clock time
used.  It's very likely, due to the distributed nature of app engine,
that many of your requests will use more CPU time than wall clock
time, as they can be handled by multiple machines.  But yes, you're
only billed for time your app actually consumes on the CPUs.  When
you're not actively serving any requests, you're not using any CPU
time. There's no charge for having your app available to serve
requests; unlike Amazon EC2 you're not paying for your own server
instance to be running constantly.