You should be able to do something like

foo = db.get(templatekey).templatetext # or however else you want to
fetch your template from the db...
bar = template.Template(foo)
self.response.out.write(bar.render(template_values))

Note: {% extends %} and other template tags that try to load stuff
from the disk are going to fail horribly, unless of course you're only
extending templates are are actually application files; I don't
believe there's a good way to extend a template that's also stored in
the db.