The property name date isn't listed in the list of reserved names:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/datastore/modelclass.html#Disallowed_Property_Names

If you wouldn't mind filing an issue I think that would be best. We'll
reproduce and determine if it is a GQL issue or something that should be
added to the documentation.

Thank you,

Jeff