I've found a difference in the behavior of static_dir directives in
app.yaml.

My app.yaml:
handlers:
- url: /js/y.js
  script: js_templ.py
- url: /js
  static_dir: js

All goes well in dev server, because the devserver uses the js
directory.

On the live server all statics are handled differently, so the live
server scans the app.yaml and it matches all the files against the
static_dir declarations. On the live server the file js_templ.py is
interpreted as a static file, because the static_dir: js matches it.

I think the development server should work exactly like the live
server on this point. The difference is only noticed on the live
server so it's hard to find it and the warnings aren't clear.