oh man, sending emails is a pain. the process of doing it successfully
is awkward, expensive and surprisingly opaque. here's what i recall,
don't quote me on it...

1.) in order to have a chance-in-hell to getting email through, you
need to send email from a 'whitelisted' email provider. the term
you're looking for is 'email marketing campaign' or the like. yes,
even when someone has given you their email and opted in to receiving
emails, you need to go through a whitelist service to have a chance-in-
hell of getting the email through.

2.) i think there are 2-3 big whiltelist services that are the master-
services for all the other ones, but they won't even deal with you
unless your volume is decent (i'd guess 100K email / day off the top
of my head). there are then hundreds of smaller services that go
through them, offering smaller marked-up packages.

3.) i've used these people before: http://www.campaigner.com/ if i
recall, they're about mid-tier, integration was better than some but
still a pain.

4.) don't expect to see big click-though rates. i would peg 1-2% CTR
unless you're really delivering something really compelling to the
user.

again, all off the top of my head, but hope it helps a bit. good
luck...