Don't understand why uploadify can't work ?

It's a client side tech (js, swf). So you can do what you want server
side.
I don't know uploadify but I think the 'folder' attributes is just an
attribute for the server side script.
Then you can store the file where you want.

So it should work "easily".
You have to rewrite "check.php" and "uploadify.php" to pyhton + gae.

Regards.