I think that I'm also in the same boat.

I have registered an app with google app engine, and even uploaded a
simple hello-world type example.  However,
(1) I don't seem to be able to modify it with appcfg.py update (the
command runs ok, reporting that everything works, but I still get the
hello-world example)
(2) I can't access the admin console.
  (a) When I try appengine.google.com, I get a message asking me to
create an Application.
  (b) When I try appengine.google.com/a/<myappid.appspot.com>, I get a
"Google Apps - Server error".  There is a link on this page which
takes me to trouble-shooting, for which the third option appears to be
the only possibly relevant one: "(3) The domain name is configured as
a domain alias for another account".  I'm not sure that I understand
what this means in this context.

I have two accounts which have the same email address as their key,
and different passwords.  I'm not sure if this is the problem.
Needless to say, I've tried both, but got nowhere.