This is said because the datastore has cheap diskspace and there isn't
good support for joins here.

However, we'll "relearn" why normalization is good.

Denormalization means that what would normally modify a single cell
will have to modify many rows.  This isn't ideal in a relational
database, nor in the datastore.

I wouldn't drink the "normalization isn't for the datastore" coolaid
too much. ;)