It gives me a "permission denied" when I try to upload my
application.

Besides, https://appengine.google.com won't let me create additional
applications; when I click on the Create an Application button it
takes me to a page where I enter my cell phone number, and that fails
because I've already done that step; "The phone number has been sent
too many messages or has already been used to confirm an account."