I have Google Apps working nicely on gerardmason.com. Thank you very
much, no complaints.

I also have a little Servlet/JSP/PostgreSQL-based website at
wow.gedsguides.com that I have just finished porting to App Engine,
more or less. The new version is currently accessible at
http://com-gedsguides-wow-read.appspot.com/.

So now it's time to think about switching off the old site and making
"wow.gedsguides.com" point to the GAE app. It should be fairly simple.
But there appears to be a whole rigmarole involving Google Apps that I
don't like the look of.

It starts off badly: when I read the article at
http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/domains.html it has a main
heading "Deploying your Application on your Google Apps URL" and then
almost immediately a subheading "Deploying your application to a
domain of your choice". It sounds as though the person who wrote the
article thought that those two were the same thing. They are very much
not the same thing. I want to deploy my application on a domain of my
choice (wow.gedsguides.com); I do *not* want to deploy my application
on my Google Apps URL (gerardmason.com).

Nevertheless, I tried the first step: going to my application's
control panel and clicking the Add Domain button, then entering
"gedsguides.com" on the following page. I wasn't particularly
apprehensive: the DNS server for gedsguides.com is still pointing at
my existing ISP. What could possibly go wrong?

Anyway, when it moved on again, I got a Google Apps login page for
user "@gedsguides.com". WTF?^H^H^H^H Goodness me! I don't have Google
Apps set up on gedsguides.com, of course (it's on gerardmason.com), so
I was unable to log in. Naturally, I don't want to set up Google Apps
on gedsguides.com - why would I, when I already have it somewhere
else?

Is this right, or have I made a stupid mistake? Why can't I just point
wow.gedsguides.com at appspot, the way you can point arbitrary urls at
your blogger blog, for example?

Help.