Can I bounce an idea off anyone who's interested?  I'm looking for an
efficient way to get realtime updates to a large-ish number of client
apps, and I'm wondering if using App Engine+Google's Talk servers
might be the way to do it.

I need to get timely messages to 100-5000 thousand clients, with
reasonable (99%?) reliability.  I know I can do this with Google Talk
at a very small scale - if someone IMs me I'll get the message through
Gmail on one computer, iChat on another and Google Talk on my iPhone,
all at the same time.  But that's just 3 clients on the same account.
Could this work at scale?

Let's say I create an account - clients-of-kris-12...@gmail.com - and
have my all my client apps connect as that user.  They're all coded to
listen for updates from their buddy - server-of-kris-54...@gmail.com -
which is part of my App Engine project.  As far as I understand,
they'll all hear everything the server is announcing, roughly at the
same time.

Does anyone know that this would/wouldn't work?  And if it would work,
does anyone know the billing implications?  I'd rather the App Engine
team billed me for 5000 messages and were happy to do so, than billed
me for one but felt I was abusing the system.

(Sorry - I realise this may be more of a Google Talk question than an
App Engine question.  If anyone wants to point me to a low-level GTalk
forum instead, please do!)