I've been "deferring" tasks by using a callback from the user's
browser that follows up an immediate request with other things I want
to happen in the background as a result of that request (e.g.,
preparing for the next probable request, putting memcache items into
DB, etc.).

Is the new deferred capability suitable for this?  Is it better or
worse than my approach?  What are the downsides?

Is it subject to the 10K task queue insertions quota (making it
completely unsuitable for this)?