Yes, that helps.  Mainly, you want to make sure the keys for your most
frequently used entities are the shortest (see Huffman Encoding) if
you will have a large datastore (though, this may be good practice in
general).

It is discussed in the Building Scalable Web Apps IO talk from this
year:

"Building Scalable, Complex Apps on App Engine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgaL6NGpkB8

Anyway, I highly recommend everyone developing apps on Appengine watch
any IO talks from 2008 or 2009 having to do with GAE or Bigtable or
other stuff.  Google has gone out of its way to explain to people how
to make their applications radical.. or fast or scalable or whatever
word pleases you.