Hi Jeff,
Sorry for the delayed reply. Since we have a seriously struck with
another problem in gql
which I already posted in
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/44f68399e1dea1c0/9b92b3a369f831d7?pli=1
I couldn't respond you.

My app id is os-dev. Its not deadline exceeded exception, its
datastore timeout. For the same request (query)
and for the same set of results it is quite fast some time and throws
timeout error some time.

Adhi