Another issue is, the 1MB limit is incompatible with audio and video
as well as just images. So it's not just an imaging library that is
needed, it's everything. I had planned to have people be able to
collect stories in audio format (say from old folks) and upload them
to my site (Rakontu) but given the 1MB limit that's pretty much out of
the question. That and the Timeouts and other gotchas make it hard to
create anything that approximates real social media on GAE. :( But
here's hoping it "grows up" over time. Moore's law is in our favor
here.