I am attempting to implement an application that performs some
occasional web crawling as a component of its day-to-day
functionality.
The web crawling code can be executed from a jsp file.  When I test it
on my computer by accessing the jsp file, it performs its desired
function nicely, as expected.
So I decided to go try it on the app engine, and if I run it by
accessing the .jsp file, I get a HardDeadlineExceededError, which I am
told occurs when the request takes longer than 30 seconds, which is
understandable.
However, when I try to execute it as a cron job, every time it runs,
it ends after about 5 seconds, with a different exception:
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
cannot be cast to javax.servlet.ServletException
...and the stack trace doesn't reference any of my code at all, which
is making this difficult to debug.  Does anyone have a clue what might
be causing something like this?