I'm certainly not a guru, but I would not start out by attempting to
migrate any non-trivial application to GAE.  From what I've seen so
far, in addition to requiring major rewrites due to a fundamentally
different db architecture, the platform is not stable or mature.  They
are calling it a "preview" for a reason.  Start small with a simple
web app or service and see how it works for you first.  By doing this
you'll get a much better idea of what is going to be involved.