I think this is obvious to a lot of us, but I wonder if it's worth
explicitly documenting up front in the Java/Python Datastore overviews
that each application has its own corresponding datastore?

If so, one could add an additional paragraph in each "Introducing the
Datastore" section of
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/datastore/overview.html#Introducing_the_Datastore
and
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/datastore/overview.html#Introducing_the_Datastore
like this:

"Each App Engine application has its own associated datastore. From
any given application, you may not reference the datastore (and its
entities) associated with a different application.This does allow
entities with the same name to exist independently across multiple
applications. "

Hans