Hi,

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:46 PM, mb <doit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My app receives mail and stores them in the datastore.  It usually
> works fine, but occasionally it has problems decoding the message
> body.
>
> It logs errors like:
>
>    UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in
> position 50: ordinal not in range(128)
>
> The error happens when trying to decode the message body:
>
>    bodytext = message.bodies(content_type='text/plain').next()
> [1].decode()
>
> Question 1 - do I really need to muck around with detecting different
> encodings on each email, or is there an app engine function that makes
> it "just work"?

There's nothing that automatically takes care of this for you. The libraries
in question are Python libraries, not App Engine ones.

> Question 2 - app engine keeps retrying these failed messages, and they
> keep failing.  How can I clear them from the queue?

You need to modify your task code to either execute correctly, or not return
an error status code when it encounters this.

-Nick

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine
Google Ireland Ltd. :: Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number:
368047