Hello,

Today I noticed that App Engine Java environment became much faster
then before. The spin up cost is about 700cpu_ms with the simplest
servlet. Additionally, when it comes to serving with a hot instance,
the cost reduces to 0-2cpu_ms, while python environment takes about
5-7cpu_ms even with the simplest handler.

To make it simple here, lets say Java takes     1cpu_ms while Python takes
6cpu_ms for serving very simple page.
How many requests can they serve with 1 cpu hour?

Java: 3600000 requests/1 cpu hour
Python: 600000 requests/1 cpu hour

This is a big deference; 6 times! If your app exceeds free quota, this
deference can impact total amount of costs significantly. I'm a big
Python fan and I have believed that appengine Python runtime is
superior to Java runtime, so I've been trying to persuade others to
use Python rather than Java for now.

Having said that, today it turns out for me that Java runtime is much
more cost effective than Python runtime in some cases, so should I
recommend others to use Apppengine Java if they are very sensitive to
cpu costs?

I'd appreciate if anyone could share one's thoughts/experiences on this.

TIA

--
Takashi Matsuo
Kay's daddy