While the limit for passing data directly to the Images (or other)
APIs has not changed, you can pass a Blob key to the Images API to do
exactly what you want: convert a 50MB uploaded image to a smaller
image.

More information here:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/images/overview.html#Transforming_Images_from_the_Blobstore

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/images/overview.html#Transforming_Images_from_the_Blobstore