Felix,

  The timing of your question is excellent.  Last night we just
released App Engine 1.3.0 which adds the BlobStore API.  This new API
supports file upload and download up to 50MB.

http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/12/app-engine-sdk-130-released-including.html

  At least that's an answer for the file size limitation part of your
question.

  - Rafe Kaplan