> it still can result in timout if the data is really big

How so?  If you don't request "too many" items with a page query, it
won't time out.  You will run into runtime.DeadlineExceededErrors if
you try to use too many page queries for a given request, but ....

> of no much use to most of us if we really have big data to sort and
> page.

You do know that the sorting for the page queries is done with the
indexing and not user code, right?  Query time is independent of the
total amount of data and depends only on the size of the result set.
(Indexing time is constant per inserted/updated entity.)