GWT and App Engine are related but independent. You can build a client-side
application in GWT and serve it with App Engine, but you don't have to serve
it with App Engine. Likewise, you can use GWT for your client code in your
GAE app, but you can also use JSP or any other presentation framework.

If you haven't already, download the Google Plugin for Eclipse (
http://code.google.com/eclipse) and try creating a new project. You can
choose whether the project uses GWT and/or GAE, and see what the differences
are between the projects that you create. In particular, if you choose GWT,
you'll see separate directories for client and server -- the GWT code lives
in the client directory and the GAE code in the server. You can also browse
the open source projects that use both GWT and GAE, namely gwtguestbook,
taskengine, and sticky:

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/source/browse/#svn/trunk/java/demos

- Jason