Yes, I know without huge company name on a front page it sounds scary.
But for some small/test apps it can be good enough and really useful.
Eventually it will be supported directly by Google, and people will
just switch.

I'm using it for a small number of my sites, and with current
bandwidth prices there is no reason not to give it away.

As some reassurance points I can say:
- It is being used for non-Google sites, so this redirector is not
going to disappear anytime soon (or when Google will start supporting
it directly).
- From tech POV it is a lighttpd server without any code at all,
redirect is being made at config level. It is not hard to keep that
alive.

Hope this helps!