Does anyone know what efforts are being taken to speed up index
building and what their status is?

I'm finding it very difficult to be a champion for GAE in my company -
one of the (implicitly) advertised features of GAE is the whole click
to deploy and start running feature. Things don't bode very well if
I'm doing a demo for the clients / bosses and we all need sit and wait
12 to 24 hours for GAE to index two strings that say "Hello World" and
"test".

Its especially frustrating when I need to deploy and test during
development (stuff like custom search doesn't work on localhost).

I've been hitting refresh the last six hours.

The production issues pilot is a great step in the right direction,
and I filed an issue and all, but is the GAE team actually thinking of
responding to 100,000 (and counting) developers?

Just wondering, how on earth do you guys do demos at I/O? I don't
think any of the presenters hit deploy and said "okay, let's all come
back tomorrow, or maybe the day after, and we'll see if this
works" :-/

Sudhir