You could have your designer write little templates for each "thing"
you would like to display.  If they are named in some "standard" way
your developers will know how to call the templates as needed.  That
sounds pretty close to what you are asking for.  Not sure it sounds
like a good idea though.

Also, you do not have to use the django template engine -- I do not.
I personally use mako templates for all of my App Engine apps.  You
can run any pure python template engine.

Just out of curiosity do you define XSLT as code, design, or both?

Robert