Thanks everyone for your replies!  Happy New Year.

Hi Wesley -  You rock, your solution worked.  Now I want to know why
it worked.  ;o)

Here is the code that is rendering my edit band page per your
suggestion:

  def get(self):
    band_edit = Band.gql('')
    for band in band_edit:
      template_values = {
          'band_edit': band_edit,
           }
      path = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), 'editband.html')
      self.response.out.write(template.render(path, template_values))

How does the second line of Band.gql('') know to pull the band.key.id
from the URL and then use it to only grab the Band entity with the ID
of 2?
Or is it because I have my application = webapp.WSGIApplication mapped
to ('/editband/?$', EditBand) in my main.py?  Does python then look
for whatever is the ?$ and then uses that to run the Band.gql('')?

Inquiring minds wish to understand the zen of abstract Python.

Thanks!