Hello!
I recently wrote an app running on GAE. It is a facebook statistics
gatherer, which relies upon the Facebook API to function.

Recently the app got a lot more users, and the requests per second
"shot" to 4, which is the highest it has ever been. However AppEngine
did not scale well at all, with over 25% of my requests being shot
down because of the "Max Simultaneous request limit", which is said to
be always caused by "Bad coding and long page request times", which is
fair enough.

The problem is my app relies on a Facebook API call called "feed.get
()", which returns a (long) JSON response detailing all the users
actions in the last X days, from which my app generates statistics
from. The getting of this data, along with the users friends and the
users groups is very expensive (Takes up 99.9% of the request time).
The facebook API fails as well sometimes as well, as shown by these
logs:

Request recieved
Stream.get() failed us
Stream.get() ran fine
get_add_url() ran fine
Friends.get() ran fine
Groups.get() ran fine
Network done in 9.25191187859
Loop and stats created in 0.000972032546997 seconds
Created render info in 0.00014591217041
Rendered in 0.0445511341095 seconds
Request finished in 9.29821896553 seconds

As you can see 9.25 seconds is spent on getting the data only only
0.04 on processing it. The time taken varies greatly, sometimes it
takes only 2 seconds in total and other times it hits up to 15 (With
multiple API failures).

My question is how can I try and avoid hitting the max request limit
when it is a third party that is causing my long response times.?
I could use some Ajax calls to get the stats, but that would double
the requests needed (1 request to get the page, another to get the
data).

Is there any way to increase my request limit?

Regards
~Tom