I'm curious as to why the session cookie for google account sessions
is different between the development server and production. I'd also
like to know if there are abstractions/workarounds for this so I don't
have to keep modifying my client code.

Here's what I've found...

- On the development server, the session cookie name is
"dev_appserver_login".

- On the production server, there are five cookies created for the
domain...
 "__utmb"
 "__utmc"
 "__utma"
 "__utmz"
 "ACSID"

Are there App Engine resources that cover this architecture?

Thanks!