I was under the impression that something happened internally at
Google to adjust the way that apps were balanced around machines and/
or other internal tuning.

Additionally, we run a ping every 10 seconds to keep an instance hot.
While I understand how this doesn't have much effect in a distributed
environment (though practically speaking in this case it does seem to
have a positive effect), and while I also understand how this is
"abuses" a shared resource, I'm currently afraid to turn it off.