This issue comes up about once per week. Google -- you need to address
this. The simplest way of addressing it would be to put the size of
*every* index on the statistics page, and show that the total
corresponds (roughly) to the quota number.

This would enable people to see which index (or indexes) was consuming
a lot of space, and take steps to optimize -- maybe by not indexing
that field.

Philip