That's a pretty general question, but in general, here are some performance
tips:

- Retrieving entities by key is the fastest way to retrieve data. If you can
avoid complex queries and do this instead where possible, you'll squeeze a
lot of performance out of the datastore.
- Memcache slow data requests.
- Minimize off-server requests (URLFetch) or cache when possible
- Much perceived web site slowness is in the front-end, not the back-end
itself. Here's a good article about this:

http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html

It is highly recommended that you use YSlow, Page Speed (
http://code.google.com/speed/page-speed) or Speed Tracer for GWT.

- Analyze, analyze, analyze. We'll be bundling AppStats for Python in our
next release. We definitely want to do this for Java as well for parity. In
the meantime, try to figure out what is slow. Is it your datastore? Are you
making slow URLFetch calls? Are you doing large computations?

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Patrick Twohig
<patr...@namazustudios.com>wrote:

> I'm running a GAE/J application right now and it's behaving a bit
> sluggishly.  Is there a set of guidelines or best practices that I may be
> able to look at to boost the performance?

Ikai Lan
http://googleappengine.blogspot.com | http://twitter.com/app_engine