Don't know  (and perhaps nobody outside G knows) how much a slow site
is penalized.
But ....
   I can tell you that once a site gets a decent  traffic responds
faster and faster.
   So .. or you submit your site once you get a reasonable traffic or
you resubmit hoping for the best.

Hope this helps

--
nickmi...@gmail.com