Thanks for the reply Robert, it's quite clear now.

Just a quick follow-up question: I can also keep my current hosting
provider to host the domain (DNS) only. This way nothing will change
in the MX-records.

If I understand correctly I have to do this next:

- I will have to add the domain to Google Apps
- Make a CNAME record pointing to ghs.google.com there so I can access
my app at www.mydomain.com (or [subdomain].mydomain.com).
- I will have add an A record as well for http://mydomain.com.

Is this correct?

And if I want to add an SSL certificate to https://[subdomain].mydomain.com,
can I do this at the Google Apps or at my old hosting provider?