On Feb 17, 8:23 am, Takashi Matsuo <matsuo.taka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my opinion, the only problem is the task for sending mail is *not*
> idempotent. In other words, what if the task is executed more than
> once? Presumably recipients will receive more than one mail. Its
> somewhat annoying, isn't it?

true! good point. idempotence is an important, general concern, across
most systems. on app engine, if it's important that you only do
something once, doing it in a request handler directly isn't really
any better than doing it in a task, since both could die at any point
and/or run multiple times.

idempotence is expensive and difficult to get right, and the specifics
often change significantly from project to project, so we generally
leave it to developers themselves or client-side libraries. if you
need it, i actually think i've seen open source libraries for app
engine that do much of the heavy lifting for you.