discover which check-ins break functionality or degrade performance.

Here are a few places to get started:

Git: http://progit.org/book/ <-- free hosting: github.com
SVN: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ <--- free hosting at code.google.com
Mercurial: http://mercurial.selenic.com/ <--- free hosting at bitbucket.organd
code.google.com

On every project I work on, at the minimum I start a git project so I can
track changes and push to either Github or a local server running Git (all
Git requires is a server running sshd).

As to the point regarding documentation, I'm glad that people who have never
programmed before are using App Engine to learn how to develop software,
however, documenting that it is important to use source control is
completely out of scope. Source control is the very next thing developers
need to learn after variables, loops, object oriented programming, and other
topics. Heck, if I knew how to use source control when I was learning how to
program, it would have helped me quite a bit, as I could have simply
reverted to previous builds and been able to learn how to unbreak broken
code I wrote. As a note, I may add on the F.A.Q. that uploaded applications
cannot be downloaded, but this topic really doesn't belong in our docs.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Greg <g.fawc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 12:07 pm, Sümer Cip <sum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > People just want to have a simple FTP like thing where we can download
> the code.
>
> No people don't! Consider the scenario where you have developed a nice
> application and you want to sell it to different companies. As
> Appengine is now, you can set up an appengine account for the company,
> upload the application, and hand it over to them to administer and pay
> for resource usage. You don't have to worry that they copy or mess
> with your code.
>
> So I'm dead against allowing admins to download the code in any shape
> or form. Version control not only solves this problem, it solves so
> many others that any developer who doesn't use it should be looking
> for another job. And probably will be, after their first disk crash...
>
> Sorry for ranting, but like Ikai, I'm dismayed how often this topic
> comes up. If you're reading this and you don't have a version control
> system, GET ONE NOW BEFORE YOU WRITE ANOTHER LINE OF CODE. You will
> thank me a thousand times over your career.

Ikai Lan
http://googleappengine.blogspot.com | http://twitter.com/app_engine