Hi Eli,
  Did you happen to look at the App Engine Console after the datastore
was "napping"?  A few months ago when clearing a test datastore we hit
a similar thing.  When we looked at the App Engine Console it said the
app was being temporarily throttled.

  Was just curious if that is what you encountered too?

Robert