Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply.  As an update to anyone else that hits this,
I've tried this same project on my Mac which has a fresh install of
Eclipse and GAE and it worked as expected, no errors.  So, as a
result, I've done a complete re-install of my development environment
(i.e. re-downloaded Eclipse, re-installed GAE plug-in, and even re-
installed JDK) on my Windows machine and it seemed to fix things.
Unfortunately, I still couldn't pinpoint what was causing it, but
refreshing my dev environment worked for me.

Charles