Unfortunately, I cannot provide more details.  All I have at my hands
are the API, and the Documentation.  And the rest is beyond my
control. Beyond my application logs, I have nothing.

I have an open ticket
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2810

 (actually, there are similar tickets open).
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=1800
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=1891

It would be great if I could actually send an email that looks like
it's who it's really coming from.  Sounds silly, I know.

If you had an email in your inbox, from
"abf198h236kj3h46j2h34lklgh23k4j6" would you open it ?

Who wouldn't reject an email coming from 3-
yf9swuod0qgjsotigskxxoloi.iusjkxxoiq.yosvyutmsgor....@apphosting.bounces.google.com
  ?
Of course it looks like spam...

The emails are sent from mx.google.com, but the domain is
apphosting.bounces.google.com. Maybe the google SPF records are not
set up correctly.