I don't know off the top of my head of any open source projects that will
provide hierarchical ACLs for multiple domains. Are you working in Python or
Java? I've never used it before, but I've heard chatter that Spring had some
modules with similar functionality.

If you do find a project that mostly meets your needs, please post it to the
groups. I imagine there are probably others looking for a solution like
this.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 2:53 PM, andrew <aute...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm developing an application which I want to offer to companies as a
> service, and have a number of their employees be able to login and use
> it, but without forcing them all to get Google Accounts, or accounts
> in my Google Apps domain.
>
> I imagine this is a fairly common problem for anyone developing on GAE
> wanting to offer services to companies.
>
> I'd like help on solutions/code to manager those users and
> authenticate them, if possible without spending a lot of time writing
> a whole bunch of code to do that.
>
> I'd like to offer a company a hierarchy of organizations and roles,
> just like many Enterprise systems.
>
> I'd setup an entry for the company, and a number of levels of sub-
> groups within the company.
> Each level could have admins, who can assign admins for sub-levels,
> and create new sub-levels.
> I'd setup a number of levels, admin users, and optionally a number of
> end users.
>
> After that the idea is that they would take care of managing it all.
> Admins could login and setup further end users, admins, levels, remove
> them etc.
> All users authenticate before they can use the app.
>
> If the company has these roles and users in their internal systems
> then I would use that, accessing their system using LDAP or similar
> and leave it to them to manage the users
>                 ====>  Anyone doing that or know of open source code
> I could use to do it?
>
> But it's possible they don't have such an IT solution.
>
> Then I effectively need a user management system in my GAE app
>                 ====> Anyone doing that or know of open source code I
> could use to do it?
>
> Another idea is an external service that takes care of all this for me
> and that I can access from GAE
>                 ====> Anyone doing that or know of open source code I
> could use to do it?
>
> Other strategies or implementation ideas that will let me focus on my
> app, and not just managing users would be very appreciated.

Ikai Lan
http://googleappengine.blogspot.com | http://twitter.com/app_engine