Hi - I've been doing a bit of reading on google applications and the
idea of integrating their applications such to form a complete
product. Especially after reading case studies of small companies
shifting to google and 'customising' google applications.

Basically I have a strong php background and this is a bit new to me.
I'm not very sure of how to approach it to begin with. Basically let
me define the situation I have or rather the mental picture of what I
want and whether or not such a thing is possible.

We have a collaboration system built up. Basically our company takes
orders from clients via emails and processes them and once processed
those orders are archived for billing and history. A single order may
require a number of different resources which are attached along with
the order. Basically in the realm of the collaboration system a single
'order' is an organised accumulation of all the resources such as
documents, tasks, user roles, discussions, comments etc required to
process and complete a single clients request.

The work process is like this:

1 - We get an email for a request

2 - The email is marked as such that bang a new order is created. (An
order can be created from a single email or multiple emails can also
be attached to an order)

3 - Users are assigned roles on the order.

4 - Resources required are accumulated and attached

5 - Notes are posted

6 - Contact details of related individuals and companies are attached

7 - Once all required resources are accumulated eg: order has been
dispatched and reciepts etc recieved - the order is considered as
completed and done. It is then archived for billing.

That was the scenario - currently what I'm having in mind is:

1- I login to GMail - we get email from a client - click some
doohickey or button on the same interface to create an order from the
email and mark it as such.

2 - Go into a custom Orders area where we can assign roles and users
to work on the order - users log in with their gmail accounts - would
have to set up a users management.

3 - Attach documents and resources using the Google Docs application
interface or a widget to the order.

4 - Assign contact details by somehow attaching references to contacts
already in google contacts Address book.

5 - Dates of order recieved and dispatched dates should be viewed on
google calendar.

6 - In the custom orders module - we see all orders that are open or
archived. A single order upon viewing would show - the related
email(s) from GMAIL, the attached DOcuments from Google Docs, the
concerned users who have been assigned the order...

Thats pretty much what I'd want to see - using the robustness of
Google applications! Is the above solution possible I mean can I
really integrate GMAIL, Google Docs, Google Calendar etc attached by a
custom module which is supposed to handle my business logic - can it
be customised to that extent.

Or is it the opposite and I have no idea of what google applications /
enterprise really is. Basically we have an application running but its
not very reliable to begin with taht is why we were thinking of using
a google based solution ..

I really need a detailed answer on this - thanks in advance