I have an application which is deployed and has customers.
I would like my app to be able to send emails. This only works if
the from address is the same as my appengine login account.
If I add email addresses to my account,
those addresses still cannot be used as the from address in a sent
email.

The only way to add an approved address is to invite another developer
to be a developer on my project. I don't want another developer on my
project.
(At least not yet) The other choice is to violate the terms of service
and
create a second app engine account for myself and then invite my #2
acct to the project.
I don't want to violate the terms of service.

I understand that you must be restrictive on from addresses to stop
spammers, etc.
But this restrictiveness is too much.

I just want to send mail from a support@<blah>.com email address.

How about a "send a code to the registered phone #" type verification
system for each additional "from address"?

Please tell me that I'm not stuck and I just don't know what I'm
talking about.

Thanks,
Frank