I know that the app engine servers are synchronized with NTP so that
their clocks should be almost perfectly synchronized. Should. But can
I rely on that? Are there any mechanisms that decouples a node if its
clock gets e.g. more than N seconds out of sync the rest (or some
master node)? If so, what is the number N?

In my app I need to receive objects that has changed since last call
to the server, and normally I would have used some sequence/serial
datatype for that. But such a datatype isn't effective in a
distributed environment so I'll try to "hack" the same functionality
using a Date instead, and then just "handle it" if the client receives
a few already received objects when polling the server. This may
happen if the server clocks aren't perfectly in sync.