HTTP requests are limited to 10MB, not 1MB. The APIs - including
urlfetch - are still limited to 1MB however.

If you look on the roadmap (http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/
roadmap.html) one of the features on deck is raising some API request/
response size limits. I'd be very surprised if urlfetch wasn't one of
them.