I have a task that sends a single email which works well, but every
now and then (every 100 emails or so, my guess), the tasks get's
retried because of an exception is thrown while sending the email
message. The problem is that the email message is actually sent even
though the exception below is thrown. So, naturally, I'm lossing face
sending duplicate emails. Is there a way around this before the bug
gets fixed? :-(

File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/mail.py", line
742, in send
    make_sync_call('mail', self._API_CALL, message, response)
  File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/
apiproxy_stub_map.py", line 78, in MakeSyncCall
    return apiproxy.MakeSyncCall(service, call, request, response)
  File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/
apiproxy_stub_map.py", line 278, in MakeSyncCall
    rpc.CheckSuccess()
  File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/
apiproxy_rpc.py", line 126, in CheckSuccess
    raise self.exception
DeadlineExceededError: The API call mail.Send() took too long to
respond and was cancelled.