Thanks again Nick!

That helps a lot and I really appreciate it!  I watched Brett's Google
IO video and what you suggest sounds very efficient.  I have to study
up on keys a little to make sure I understand how to achieve: "the key
name of the UserArticle could be the same as the key name of the
article"  Brett made his relation index entity the child of the entity
he wanted so he could get the key from key.parent.  But as you've
suggested I probably want my relation index to be the child of a user
entity.  I think having different user entity parents would make the
relation index keys unique even if there were multiple ones for the
same article, but I have to learn the details of keys for that.

Tim