I've been using and watching appengine since, well, the beginning, and
only by a random Google about an unrelated topic did I find out about
this notion of a cap on 'simultaneous active requests'.  I came across
discussions where people were saying that there is a cap of 30
simultaneous active requests, citing the Quota page and so on.

But when I go to the Quota page - there's not a single mention of any
such limit. Why not? Has something changed?

Reading the quotas on that page it's easy to conclude - naively
perhaps in hindsight - that 500 requests/second is 500 requests/second
irrespective of the average execution time of those requests.

There is no mention of any assumption on that page about the time
taken to serve a request or anything else that goes into the
calculation for 500 requests/second.

After some further searching I finally found mention of this limit in
the FAQs, but here it's still quite vague - and again, no specific
mention of this 30 simultaneous request limit. It says:

"However, App Engine reserves automatic scaling capacity for
applications with low latency, where the application responds to
requests in less than one second. Applications with very high latency
(over one second per request for many requests) are limited by the
system, and require a special exemption in order to have a large
number of simultaneous dynamic requests. If your application has a
strong need for a high throughput of long-running requests, you can
request an exemption from the simultaneous dynamic request limit. The
vast majority of applications do not require any exemption."

Which doesn't imply a hard limit, but rather that as long as your
(average?) request fulfilment time is below one second you shouldn't
have to worry about this. To be very exacting, if I keep my average
request time under 1 second I should *never* see an error relating to
this cap? This is a bit different than the talk of 30 simultaneous
requests max - at that level with the max of 500 requests a second,
you'd be limited to an average request time of 60ms!

So what is the story here? Why is this all being talked about in the
shadows of message boards with no clear policy? Why isn't this
limitation in the quota page? I thought I had GAE all figured out but
then this ball gets thrown into the mix out of left field.