It would, but depending on the extent of that latency it might be a
reasonable trade off for reliability. I've an app that could
definitely tolerate some % of memcache saves being higher latency if
it guaranteed I didn't lose data.

The option of a silent background put() to the datastore upon eviction
also wouldn't necessarily incur extra latency for your memcache save,
but would instead 'just' cost you cpu_ms for those ds puts (i'm sure
those DS puts could be asynchronous and your memcache operation could
return without waiting for them to finish).

Again, I don't know if it's practical on the backend, feasible to
implement. But I believe other database systems offer that kind of
write-behind cache.