Hi Michael,

The appengine_rpc module from the SDK handles all this:
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/source/browse/trunk/python/google/appengine/tools/appengine_rpc.py

<http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/source/browse/trunk/python/google/appengine/tools/appengine_rpc.py>You
can use it directly in your app, and let it take care of authentication to
an App Engine application.

-Nick Johnson

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Michael Byrd <nerdymcnerdy...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm having a hard time figuring this out and I'm hoping someone can
> point me in the right direction for what to read.
>
> I've written an appengine app, a servlett, that will accept data from
> a get request, check if the user is signed in to a google account and
> then store the data from the request in the datastore (with a User as
> part of the model).  All pretty standard.
>
> I'd like for a python script to be able to automate the data input
> (think returning the results of s...@home) but it's important that the
> python client be able to authenticate itself via a google account.
>
> I'm at a bit of a loss for where to even start... these seem like good
> places, but I don't even know enough to be sure which, if any, will
> work:
>
> http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/docs/OAuthForInstalledApps.html
> -- seems like the best shot but they say as a log in for 'one or more
> google service' which I'm not sure my app counts as..
>
> http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/tools/uploadingdata.html
> -- I think this is not so good as I would have to give every user too
> lenient permissions for my app
>
> I've looked through the gdata source code as well trying to
> authenticate with a generic service, but I'm not sure if gdata
> authentication is universal enough to work with an arbitrary appengine
> app.
>
> Ideally if someone can get me started or point me at the correct place
> that would be great.
>
> I'd rather not do this over email or xmpp, but I'm considering those
> options.
>
> Thank you anyone for your help!,
> Michael

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine Google Ireland Ltd. ::
Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number: 368047